community parenting

What is a custodial parent even?

Topics and discussions related to parenting without the other parent in the same home. This may include coparenting, shared parenting, joint parenting or single parenting.
PeleMother

Aloha,

I come from the Big Island and here we all take care of another. The grandmothers, grandfathers, aunts and uncles, neighbors and everyone is a parent in my eyes. I know that doesn't matter when it comes to the law and the actual divorce procession, but but how is the term "Custodial Parent" going to affect my families life? The kids live with me for the most part, so am I considered the custodial parent? My husband doesn't live with us but he still comes by and plays with the children, takes them out on adventures, and even spends some nights here when we throw neighborhood parties (which can be weekly!) . . . how does this all factor in and how will it affect my child support?
LukeIamNotYourFather

In order for you (the custodial parent it seems) to get child support, you generally must be the "custodial" parent.

A "custodial" parent has primary physical custody of a child. This generally means that the children live primarily with you (the custodial parent), and this parent is chiefly responsible for day-to-day care of the child (e.g. making arrangements for day care, ensuring the child is well-fed, taking the child to various social activities, etc.). The "custodial" parent can be designated by a court after a divorce and child custody dispute, or can be assumed naturally in single-parent households where only one parent is raising the child (while the other parent has made no effort toward seeking custody).

It will all come together and you will figure it out. Don't worry so much. Aloha!